Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 25, 2012

So today was another interesting day here at Riley, when you think that things are going to calm down you better think again.  When we woke up Blair's fever was back and so she stayed in the room.  I headed over to Riley and was there pretty early.  Harli's nurse told us that she had a rough night last night, she had quit a few episodes but thankfully she was able to resolve most of those on her own.  When I lifted the John Deere blanket to see how Harli was doing I opened it to her big eyes just looking up at me.  She was wide awake and wanted everyone to know it, she wouldn't hold still for anything.

The doctor and nurse practitioners made their rounds and were very concerned with the increase in Harli's episodes.  They are not sure what is causing them, but they had three ideas.  The first idea is that Harli's red blood cell count is low, meaning she would need another blood transfusion. If this is the case that might explain why she tires down and forgets to breathe.  The second idea would mean to check her white blood cell count and see if she has an infection from her pick line.  The third idea is that because of her premature nature she can not control her head and drops her chin which cuts off her air way, but her brain can not comprehend that so she does not move her head back up.  The doctor ordered blood tests to be done to see which one of the three ideas it was.  The blood was written to be drawn at 2:00p.m. after her kangaroo session with her daddy.

11:00a.m. Harli's care times have changed now that she is being fed milk.  Instead of doing her care every four hours we do it every three because she gets fed every three hours.  When I got in there to change her diaper our nurse noticed that she had a "HUGE" bowel movement.  We had to change everything, from her diaper to her blanket.  I tried telling our nurse that I had to go eat lunch but she did not let me out of the situation.  I then tried convincing her that I took care of all the wet diapers and Blair said she was going to take care of all the dirty diapers.  I guess our nurse has figured me out though, since I ended up changing her diaper.

I got the privilege to kangaroo Harli again today for a two hour session.  Once again while holding her she did great until the end when we started to put her back.  She had another "brady", when the heart rate drops, which we stimulated her since I was in the process of picking her up off my chest.

2:00p.m. Harli's nurses drew her blood and sent them to the lab.

2:30p.m. Blair and I made a trip back over to the IU Emergency room since her fever had spiked to 102 degrees.  We had more success over there today since it only took us a total of an hour which was much better than our first visit of three hours.  The nurse practitioner took a look at Blair and it was pretty obvious that her mastitis was back.  The nurse gave her another antibiotic to take with the one that she was previously taking.  While taking this new antibiotic though Blair would have to pump and dump since it will get into Blair's milk.  I even checked with the pharmacist, Harli's nurse practitioner, and even Harli's doctor.  They all concluded since Blair has so much milk on stock that it would be safer for her to dump the milk over the next ten days.

5:30p.m. I was able to get Blair's prescription filled at the pharmacy here at Riley, which has made everything more convenient.  I did notice thought that the lady who works the desk at the pharmacy called me by name, which I do not think is something to be proud of.  Anyways I was able to get the medicine over to Blair so she could take them and get back to bed.

6:30p.m. The lab had Harli's red blood cell count finished and her results were low enough to where they wrote for a blood transfusion.  They will give her thirteen ml over a three hour period starting at eight tonight.  While doing the blood transfusion they will not feed her milk so Harli will miss her feeding at eight, but should still get her feeding at eleven.

9:15p.m. Harli's white blood cell count is still not finished and I  am waiting on a call from our nurse.  As soon as I find something out I will add it onto tonight's posts and highlight it in yellow, so if your reading this and you are curious check back.  The nurse was going to check again at 9:45p.m. and call me if she has the results. Harli's nurse just called and said her white blood cell count is good so there is no infection.  Let us pray that the blood transfusion allows Harli to have more energy and less episodes.

9:22p.m. I am done writing tonight and now I will add the best part.

Finally got her legs free.


Just proving she can move however she wants


Stretching out her legs


Nap time they got her all contained except one leg.  Blair made a good point about this picture, when she is all stretched out her whole body does not fit in the picture anymore.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment